Monday, November 30, 2015

Side track : Reverb Tank

For a long time,  I didn't realize one of the coils in my Ruby reverb tank had broken at the terminal and was not functioning properly.  Fortunately the tank connects with a set of standard RCA connectors (R/W).

 Reverb Tank above.  Reverb I/O taped connectors down-left.


Due to the broke ass tank, I began theorizing the insertion of different effects in the reverb position of the amplifier's circuitry.  

The pictured piece of breadboard is an old tremolo circuit from the amplifier portion of an Allen Classic organ.  The reason I was interested in it at all, in the beginning, was the 'more random motion' switch, as it had it's own placard and switch on the facade of it's original housing.  Who wouldn't be.  Right now I'm hoping it wasn't simply a control for the lesle motor on the horns, but I'm fairly confident in the efficacy of the components, upon rebuilding.
After experimenting with low mix/slow phasing, as well as low mix/shallow depth/high speed tremolo for texturing; being able to use the independent channel and global mix controls for a nonstandard effect for the position gives me a big rubbery one.  
Especially if that effect had an on-board switch for more random motion. The Diablo already features a reverb cancel 1/4" jack, making remote termination of the effect (performance) possible.  This is again just from observation -I have in no way tested the reverb cancel feature on the amplifier.  Hopefully it acts as an toggle for yes/no.


I still have to place an order with mouser for the components to rebuild the tremolo.
After replacing the Power PCB in the Diablo, I haven't had any other components marked as bad, however, I haven't tested all of them.  My primary concern was with noise, and so far we have a lot more headroom than we did.
This is a sidetrack.
Expect new rails.  

No comments:

Post a Comment