Tuesday, November 24, 2015

In the beginning

I begin this blog in hopes that other fanatic jacks, unable to find the information they are looking for, find me in their last throes.  

The item of my focus, now and forever, amen, the
Genz-Benz El Diablo 100 H

Granted, I'm sure the 60H and combo versions function on the same principles, but I haven't asked KMC for the schematics to those, because I don't own those, and I don't care.

Not even really sure where to begin here.

I want to provide as much information as possible, both functionally opinionated as well as technically factual, about the tube head model printed above.  
Having played guitar seriously through my early teens and being shit raking poor, I handled a lot of equipment.  Not just the penises of traveling underwear salesmen, I also refer to audio ... stuff.

Not going to gloss over that nonsense because this is what the destination happens to be.

Bought my Diablo in 2011, so by then that specific head was already five years old. (PCB date says 2004.)   I'm fairly certain it was either a lemon or someone spilled a beer directly in to half of the tube sockets and then rearranged all of the metal film capacitors.

I practiced, blew tubes, played shows, and made love to it set up this way for... three years.  Thinking back it was the source of a lot of frustration for a long time.  But when it was good, it was so great, you know, and it only hit me to let me know it loves me.  Just those six times.
Joking aside, all of the troubles with the amp were worth the way it sounded when it was working properly.  The clean channel alone is something only Jesus should be able to hear.

As Genz-Benz was purchased by fender, you are no longer able to purchase parts from the amplifier's manufacturer.  I can't, at least, since apparently everybody only gets one.

BTW
I'm a big fan of re-purposing things, and do not promote buying parts from the manufacturer, anyway.  If you're handy, there are infinite spare parts.  Except capacitors.  Fuck.  Anyway.



No comments:

Post a Comment