Saturday, February 6, 2016

from organs to assholes. : DIY midi foot controoler

I decided, on a whim, to build a midi footswitch for the Avid 11R / Propellerhead reason.
Using this idea
and parts from the Allen organ I vulched from pustulous scrabs.

List of ingredients:
2x aluminum housing.  Or one, if you have a complete square guy.  I'm fabricating an interlocking top and bottom in order to make future maintenance easy.
2x jumper PCB (4 terminal, reclaimed from PA speakers)
1x USB keyboard brain (I used an old dell keyboard)
1x IDE cable
1x togggle switch.  I'm using a computer PSU I / O toggle.
xx strand wire; copper.  I think what I used came from a television.
xx hardware.  I used matching sets of what I had on hand from vultch.
xx any other necessary shit you necessary.


Started by not taking pictures of initially gathered components
which included regular lame stomp pedal switches that didn't look like tiny erect penis
then, decided to change components when I found the loose organ kicks

These sketches are my initial attempts to disentangle the cable routing and jumper setup. 
Notice I never look at these again after drawing them.

Aluminum housing post hole driller / hand tooling.  The holes are for kicker leads. 

Here you see the keyboard brain with strips of IDE cable soldered to traces that would normally be connected to the plastic terminal sheets in the keyboard.

determining correct pinout was no difficult;
-assign unique numbers to each pin
-plug brain in to a computer
-open notepad
-record pin combinations associated with desired ASCII characters.

IDE cable was recommended due to lead size.  virtually perfect for soldering to keybrain.
Kicker studs of penis shape with coded leads in a fine cream sauce

 Top view with the kicks on, screws in.  power switch absentee

Kickies soldered to jumpers and brain.  I listerally ran out of solder on the last joint. 


 What remains is the bottom chassis portion (parts acquired, need cutsman), brain mount (50% complete), power switch on the USB +5 rail, brainlights hole, some expansion over square terminal access holes.   It's hot for testing right now.  Except I cut the +5 rail on brain connection after solder stores were depleted by hardcore nuclear solder sesh.
I'll update.

No comments:

Post a Comment