Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Repairs

I had an unexpected afternoon away from work and was able to remove the three main printed circuits in my Diablo simulatneously, something I haven't ever done. Probs a Mayans in my party.

As soon as I got in, there were a lot of stupid obvious repairs I had to bake.

+Replaced TRS 6-terminal input jack - two bent paddles (ring and sleeve), flawless victory.  Or the majority of six hours whatever.  Factory jack is plastic bushing, plastic nut, a fiber washer betwixt.  
Picture left is new jack in place.  Lucky factomatching parts.

+Impedance switch had begun dismantling itself  -Before I started this blog, I had an issue with the bias switch failing to maintain structural integrity in the same way, mostly due to terrible mount design and component stress.  I ended up purchasing an OEM bias switch from KMC and subsequently had to rebuild it myself, anyway.  I plan on replacing these controls with something more hearty and substantial in future; is fine for now.  

3DEC2015 post contains information regarding OEM impedance selector switch.

[sorry]I would've taken pictures of a lot of this but by the time I thought of it, I was mostly done and didn't want to take the time to photographically document anything.  I'll get shots of the bias and resistance switches next time I have the chassis open.  Probably tomorrow.
I did, however, manage to get the pcb Connector Map completed, in pencil.  Two revisions and I'll ink it in the El Diablo bible, but it looked pretty swank when I was done.  It's just a complicated list, don't get me excited.  I'll try to verify my poor handwriting and get that posted soon.  

+solved and reflowed the three preamp tube sockets.  Without ruining a soldering tip.  I'm on the high score list now. 

+retensioned 1/4" FXLoop pcb jacks; 10 or 11 or something total.  Dental picks are your best friend for this task if you aren't a compulsive component popper, or CCP.  

+added star lock washers to each of the grounding positions; trace pad on the input pcb, beneath it on the preamp pcb, two on the poweramp pcb - one that terminates on the chassis and one that, in my amplifier, was soldered to a point on the FXLoop pcb; I moved it further down the circuit to a grid pin.  One of the ground bolts holds two connectors, I sandwiched a star lock washer between the two in order to ensure enduring ground.  I'm not entirely sure what was causing the chassis/static/record popclick noise I was recently hearing, but it could've been the bias switch, ground, or both failing simultaneously.  

+unplugged reverb in/out cables from preamp pcb, stored for later. 

+randomly solved and soldered joints across all pcbs, and one terminal on the 100/50 watt op mode switch.  

Now hoping I didn't miss a joint that I solved.  And that it doesn't explode or blow a tube or burn a capacitor or something.  Pretty much anything would put it on the bench for at least a week, again, and I really want it to not be that.  



No comments:

Post a Comment