Thursday, December 3, 2015

oopsie on me : impedance switch

Last post I probably regaled you with a tale that went something like "Just mash your impedance switch back together it's fine." knowing full well switchmashing these no-touchie switches caused me a prior failure.

Last night I broke and dismantled the impedance switch, which had 86'd some power tubes not moments before.  During this operation, I discovered that this switch is built similarly (but not exactly) like the bias switch.  All day at work I did a cute drawing of the switch and how it's assembled and the terminal wiring.  On the same page are my plans for bridging the switch in position I desire it to live which for.
It looks like this[right]

*Final copy will have source information on each colored wire, near color information.

*Drew the rear of the switch terminal as if looking from top down at upside down amplifier.  llllllllllooooooooo








Factory switch,
mashed inside
but you can't see












Shitty, shitty bridge job
former solid barometer wire
rasped, tinned, flowed


So completes the tension headache forecast.

The Diablo bible work log says I'm supposed to take pictures of the FXloop pcb so I don't have to keep pulling it off to look at it, but I don't feel like pulling it off to look at it.
Attempting to establish contact with an engineer that developed the mf'n El Diablo, excited titter, and hopefully I'll get to hound him for the rest of our lives.
Ordered cheap JJ's from Antique Electronic Supply (shoutouthollaaa)
and some wicked cheap Chinese pre-amp tubes I'm excited to beat on.

!Need to find cheap, reliable, awesome Chinese tubes (power+pre) so if you hear anything, let me know.
Unless cryo tubes live as long as I do.



My final mount is not pictured and I do not recommend mounting this switch with any of the terminals shorted to the housing.
Don't do it.
Final stage for this one will be a printed plastic tray with chassis screws.  Fuck those tiny nuts.



No comments:

Post a Comment